Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Prayer of Thanks

"Sometimes, no matter how long or hard you've loved someone, they'll never love you back. And sometimes, you have to be ok with that." ~Unknown

"Adversity introduces a man to himself." ~Unknown

I'm not gonna lie. I've spent a good portion of my life getting my ass kicked by, well, life. Seems like the beatings have come from every direction and from every possible level of person in my life. And for the longest time, it just hurt. I wondered what I did to deserve it. Then I started to identify with it. Started to tailspin as I figured somehow that's what I was meant to endure.

I grew up without much in the way of role models. Over time I sort of picked out my own. Now that I look back, that was a blessing. I'm not locked into trying to live the way, "My pappy always said..." I get to pick and choose my own titans to emulate. Alexander of Macedonia, Abraham Lincoln, Sun Tzu, Superman, Lex Luthor, Benjamin Franklin, Leonidas of Sparta... the list goes on.

And as time has passed, I've realized that where you start is, in many ways, a blessing as well. I've seen what became of the spoiled, soft children I grew up with. In times of trial or hardship, they crack. Or cry. Give up. A few toughen up, but most whine instead. It's not a brag or boast when I say that the only thing in life I really have a talent for is picking myself back up again.

But then, isn't that power? The definition of a Juggernaut is simply something that can't be stopped.

I've learned to be thankful to life itself for the blessings of tribulation. To see each thing as a lesson to be learned.

No sword on earth was forged in a pillow fight. It takes fire, followed by the hammer and the anvil, back to the fire again.... The sharpest swords were folded on themselves hundreds of times. So now I see these things in life, the lessons they present, for what they are, and over time, I've gathered something of a prayer to remember them by. Off the top of my head, here's what I remember at the moment, but I'll collect my thoughts here more often.

The Prayer of Thanks

Thank you for the pain, for it has made me stronger. I hardly even notice it anymore.

Thank you for the lonely times, for they have sharpened my appreciation of those that matter.

Thank you for those that have wasted my time, for it has reminded me of times value.

Thank you for those that didn't appreciate me, for it has reminded me of my value.

Thank you for the near misses, for they have reminded me of how much I have left to do.

Thank you for starting me off at the bottom. I may not have learned how to climb otherwise.

Thank you for starting me off poor. I know the value of simplicity.

Thank you for starting me off a weakling. I know the horror of the bullies victim first hand.

Thank you for starting me off timid. I know the life of the meek, and choose not to live it.

But most of all, thank you for the coin toss that kept me in the womb. It's all the chance I'll ever need.

Until the next time...

Angelus

1 comment:

  1. Dr. I found this post to be very inspirational especially during a major turning point in my life. It also motivated me to create my own blog which I think will help me through my transitional period.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete